Magh Bihur Xubhessa Jonalu!( Wishing you Happy Magh Bihu) and Pongal vazhtukkal( Wishing you Happy Pongal). Hope you guys are doing good. Its quite an auspicious day today as it is Pongal (celebrated in Tamil Nadu, India), Magh Bihu (celebrated in Assam, India), Makar Sankranti (celebrated in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh; India), Lohri(celebrated in Punjab, India) and more.

I have two questions for you. I hope you do answer them :

  1.  What are your expectations in 2021? How do you want your 2021 to be?
  2. What is your favorite festival?

This blog is gonna be all about the festival that I celebrate in my place: BIHU.

Bihu is a harvest festival that is celebrated to mark the shift in the Sun's solstice. There are three types of Bihu: Magh Bihu, Bohag Bihu and Kati Bihu. We celebrate Bihu thrice in a year. Each Bihu is celebrated once in a year.

  • Magh Bihu:  It is celebrated on January 14 with the community feasts after the annual harvest. The night before Magh Bihu is called Uruka, the night of feasts.  Boys of the village make a 'Bhela Ghar'- a temporary night shelter which is made of thatch, bamboo, straws, dried leaves and sleep inside on Uruka night. The next day they take bath in river and then burn the 'Bhela Ghar'. In Magh Bihu we eat Jolpan[made of roasted and ground rice(xandoh), flattened(chira) puffed rice(muri), cooked glutinous rice(bora saul) along with curd, cream and Jaggery], Til Pitha and Til ladoo, Coconut ladoo, different varieties of cake, etc.
  • Bohag Bihu: It is celebrated in the month of April. It is the joy of colours. Here, we dance Bihu with dhol and pepa(horn pipe) and take blessings from elders. This festival is much of dancing and singing.
  • Kati Bihu: It is celebrated in the month of October-November. Here, we light the earthen lamp in paddy fields. We also light the earthen lamp in our home Thulsi plant. 
I ate many finger-licking food items. Here is the picture, have a look.



So, that's it for today. I thank you all for encouraging me by giving me lovely comments. Well, I am enjoying my day and I hope your day goes fun. Bye and meet you in my next blog. Once again wish you a very Happy Bihu and Happy Pongal. Stay Tuned.
Yours blog mate,
Aarshia Borgohain

Comments

  1. After seeing the pics my mouth was watering😂😂. Btw, nice post keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa good post !!
    Actually I want 2021 to be more positive and soulful
    My favorite festival is Diwali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I wish your expectations come true!!!=)
      Diwali is a really good festival.=)

      Delete
  3. What are your expectations in 2021? How do you want your 2021 to be? --- everyone should be happy and healthy. All kids should enjoy their childhoods ......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy MAGH BIHU and Pongal to you too!! This was soooooooooooooper good.
    To answer your questions,
    1) My expectations for 2021 would be well...... let me think . Uhhhh. Yes, umm probably for all people to hopefully be safe from the pandemic and also for the normal schools to begin. I am still very surprised I'm saying this but online school is VERY boring..................

    2) My favourite is Christmas because it is the most cheerful time of year although we never got to spend Christmas as merrily this year.

    That's all .
    And again, this was a pretty awesome post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wish that school should open soon.
      Christmas is awesome. Waiting for Santa Claus, Plum cake and tree decorations.
      Ooh I love it!!=)
      Thanks...

      Delete
  5. Since I'm not South Indian, we don't really celebrate Pongal. As Punjabis, we celebrate Lohri! But since we're all Indians and are united, I'll wish you all both!
    Happy Pongal, and happy Lohri!
    I'll answer your q's now because they came first in the post lol. I have another audition soon, so I want my 2021 to be full of trainee life at the company I'm auditioning for: TheBlackLabel Entertainment (which is under YG).
    My fave festival... I have many. I like Holi. I like Eid. I also like my birthday (that's a festival to me lol). I also like Christmas. I like everything, but mostly Holi. Also, Eid. We don't really fast for Ramzan/Ramadan, as we're Hindus, but I like that as well. It's fascinating how people fast for a month and only eat before sunrise and after sunset and stay nonviolent for this whole month and bath before sunrise and/or after sunset and still manage to survive! That's because I, personally, am a very much-all-time kinda person. But I'm improving! I munch on fruits and salads now. Soon I'll be able to stop munching entirely and then stay without food for days and days together. I'd also like to fast for Ramzan (aka Ramadan) one day. For a whole month. I hear this year it's in May! Maybe I'll try it this year! Who knows? *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. And also, happy Magh Bihu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! Happy Lohri to you too!!=)
      I wish you good luck.
      Hope it comes true.....=)

      Delete
  7. Wow, looks like you all had a lot of fun!
    Well, great post, it taught us a lot about Assamese culture!
    Keep posting, and please don't keep us desperate for reading your posts for so long! (haha, I am one to say. How long has it been since I haven't posted?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. After seeing the pics my mouth was watering. I want this 2021 to be filled with joy. I like the Pongal festival and Diwali. Happy Magh Bihu Aarshia.
    Also check out my post and leave a comment.
    https://mypassionforscience.blogspot.com/2021/01/melatonin.html
    with luv,
    Devmitra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting...u introduced a new culture which I have ever met till now..that was so lovely 🤩

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy and amazinggggg post ! I really loved it ! Great work !
    What are your expectations in 2021? How do you want your 2021 to be?
    I really want to be more organized . I also want to be positively hopeful .
    What is your favorite festival?
    Diwali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks..
      Well, I wish you a good luck for making your expectations come true=)
      Wow! Diwali is a very joyful festival!!=)

      Delete
  11. Nice one about pongal. My expectations for 2021 is to get rid of this pandemic and to be in a routine day to day schedule. Ur blogs r amazing. Keep it up .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, so we are actually doing an essay at school about goals, so I'm going to mention some I had in mind.

    1. I want to save up enough money to buy a new iPad. Mine is so old. 5 years :).
    2. I hope 2021 means going back to school full time. We only go two times which is not fun, :( but It's alright. :)
    3. My favorite festival...
    Gosh, I have so many. Ok, I will mention two. There is an October Fest that opens in October. And there is another fair with the exact same rides, and exact same setup. It is just named differently and in a different place. This one opens in July.
    Then, there is a Halloween Fest, which is on a street, and people dance, sing, and throw candy in Halloween Costumes. I went there in 2019 with my cousins and not 2020 because of COVID

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Festivals celebrated in India

BIENVENIDAS